Tips for Doing Medical Transcription at Home
- Many women who do medical transcription are at home all day alone, without the benefit of being surrounded by co-workers. Be
careful about answering the door for just anyone who knocks! It is your privilege not to open the door
- One of the best things you can do for yourself, if you are going to be typing long-term, is to get an ergonomic keyboard.
- A good set of references -- either books or computer resources -- will be invaluable.
Want To Be A Good Medical Transcriptionist?
How To Be A Medical Transcriptionist
Help With Medical Abbreviations
- Acidic or ascitic. Acidic pertains to pH. Ascitic pertains to ascites in the abdomen.
- Bizarre or bazaar. Weird behavior is bizarre. A church yard sale is a bazaar.
- BNP or BMP. BNP is brain natriuretic peptide, which is a test that helps assess lung/heart status,
for things like congestive heart failure. BMP is basic metabolic panel (or basic metabolic profile) which includes
sodium, potassium, chloride, etc.
- Nuchal or knuckle. Nuchal pertains to the neck. Knuckles are on the hands.
- Do you know the difference between "lead" and "led?" He "led" me there! "Lead" me to the room. It has "lead" in it!
- Make sure you don't make this typo: "does" instead of "dose" or vice versa.
- Do you know the difference between ileum and ilium? Ileum pertains to intestines, ilium to bones.
Some Good Reference Sites:
Rx List - Great site for looking up meds
Types of Lymphoma--At ehealthmd
MT message boards
These Could Have Been Bloopers
A foreign dictationist I work for says "short-term rehab" but it sounds for all the world like "shot gun rehab." Talk about recovering
A voice recognition system apparently thinks that "precious leg syndrome" is a condition. (restless leg syndrome)